Tuesday 23 December 2008

flying solo

Mika Ninagawa
Nadiff a/p/a/r/t/
Ebisu, very close to Octopus park
JR & Hibiya Lines

Christmas in Tokyo-a strange phenomenon when the only thing that reminds you it's Christmas are the Christmas lights /the cute couples/the hundreds of girls/obasans in reindeer gear selling christmas cakes on the street...You'll also hear John & Yoko (and Mariah) at least 20 times. Apologies if I sound harsh-no wooly socks, no crisp smell of a wintery morning, no humprey, no drowning yourself in sleep...Either way, I'm on my own in Tokyo this year so taking time out. 3 days for art clubbing!! (with no hang over)

From what i can see, although spaces are smaller (Nadiff), Tokyo's art scene seems to be thrivig. With slick new facilities and art spaces in  Midtown, 21_21, /Roppongi Hills, there is also a lot of money going into it. Ginza and Omotesando are the obvious art spots with Ebisu, Nakameguro and Nihonbashi being the places to watch.

Tokyo Art Site is a great art guide & maps out art spaces in different areas in central Tokyo. It's been my trusty art club companion but I am definitely missing my girls! Available at most book stores here and on Amazon. Better get dressed and on my way. MOT and the Scala Bath house today and Koyanagi Gallery if I have time. xxx

No comments: